How Elon Musk got his Hair back!
written by Matt Dominance
Questions answered in this blog post on topic of: Elon Musk Hair Transplant
- Elon Musk hair before and after
- How many hair transplant surgeries did Elon Musk undergo?
- Did he do FUE or FUT hair transplant, or both?
- Has he already started using Finasteride(Propecia) and Minoxidil prior to his hair transplant?
Elon Musk Hair before and after
Elon Musk started losing his hair already in his mid 20’s. By the time he turned 28-29, he was already seriously balding.
His loss progression back then could be described on a Norwood scale between NW4 and NW5.
It’s likely that Elon started taking anti hair loss medication Finasteride back in the days but it is even more probably that he didn’t start using it during the first signs of his male pattern baldness progression.
Otherwise he would have been able to avoid the NW4-NW5 scenario.
Finasteride has been FDA approved for treating hair loss in 1997. During this time Elon was 26 years old. He was probably unaware of this medication until shortly before his 1st hair transplant.
It’s crucial to focus on slowing down/stopping your hair loss progression in order to end up in a similar situation as Elon did in his mid-late 20’s!
Also read “The Big 3 of Hair Loss Prevention” to help you keep your hair loss under control instantly!
Hair Situation in the late 1990´s
- 28-29 years old
- NW 4 – NW 5 transition pattern
- Diffuse thinning on the mid-scalp
- High likelihood that he has been already using at least Minoxidil(Rogaine) and Finasteride (Propecia) shortly before his 1st hair transplant
Elon Musk Hair Transplant nr. 1
- 32 years old (2003)
- Denser-looking hair on the hairline as a result of taking medication (Finasteride and Minoxidil) and a minor hair transplant
- Conservative hair density on the hairline achieved after the first hair transplant, which later has been improved with another hair transplant
- Hair on the front looks darker and healthier compared to late 1990´s
Hair Situation after Elon Musk´s 1st minor hair transplant
- Conservative hairline with lower hair density allowing higher see-through effect
- Estimated hair density on the hairline: 30-35 grafts/cm2
- Implanted hair doesn´t look pluggy but it does look more coarse because it comes form the donor zone (occipital region) on the back of the scalp which provides thick and healthy hair – unaffected by androgens (DHT).
Elon Musk Hair Transplant nr. 2
- 40-ish years old (2010 and on)
- Even more denser-looking hair on the hairline compared to 2003
- Slight lowering of the hairline is likely compared to 2003
- Lower see-through effect on the hairline compared to his hair in his 30´s
Differentiating between transplanted and non-transplanted hair on Elon's hairline
- Single follicular units on the temples (non-transplanted) look still thinner and more refined compared to the implanted single follicular units on Elon Musk´s hairline
- Estimated hair density on the hairline after his 2nd hair transplant: 45-50 grafts/cm2
Elon Musk started coloring his hair darker in his 40´s (possibly because of hair greying)
Did Elon Musk have FUE or FUT hair transplant?
It is not going to be easy to precisely guess the final number of Elon Musk´s hair transplants. He could have done 2,3 or more, but at east 2.
Below you can see a proof of his FUT because of the linear scar across his donor area. Watch the interview on CBS from 2018 and skip to 4:25 to see the scar better.
Below there is one more photo from the profile which makes us see the linear scar better.
The FUT scars which spread across the whole occipital region all the way to the left and right temporal regions suggest a major FUT session of 4000 grafts or even higher.
Why did Elon Musk only do small FUE hair transplants?
The photo below comes from 2020. You can see how dark and dense Elon´s hair looks in his donor area.
If he had done multiple larger FUE sessions, his donor area would look much more thinned out or “moth-eaten” as some hair transplant doctors say.
Of course, he might have gotten a scalp micropigmentation on the skin surface of his donor area but the nonetheless the hair coverage looks very good on the donor area.
Small FUE sessions are usually suitable for little corrections in the hairline and temporal region once the patient who has already done 1 or more hair transplants decides to improve the hair density in his hairline even further.
Is Elon Musk on Finasteride(Propecia) and will he need another hair transplant?
Elon Musk - Hair Summary
Elon Musk has likely been using Finasteride (Propecia) to keep the rest of his native hair from falling out fast over the course of his 30´s and 40´s (for the last 15-20 years).
FUT Hair Transplant
Elon Musk got most of his hair transferred from the donor area onto the recipient area via FUT.
Elon has likely undergone 1 larger (4000-4500 grafts) or 2 medium-sized FUT procedures (2000-2500 grafts and 2000-2500 grafts).
FUE Hair Transplant
Elon has probably had also one FUE procedure with relatively small graft yield as his donor area doesn´t show any signs of FUE over-harvesting or donor area depletion with FUE. His donor area above and below the FUT scar shows very good hair coverage and density.
On some photos, Elon´s FUT scar is less visible than on others. It suggests, that he might have made use of scalp micropigmentation to have the surface of his scarred skin covered with pigment (especially on the left and right side, where the hair is naturally thinner and has lower density compared to the hair on the occipital region).